Join Laurent Linn, Art Director for Simon & Schuster BFYR, agent Christina Tugeau of The Christina Tugeau Agency, and author/illustrator/SCBWI-FL Illustrator Coordinator Linda Shute for a one-day event designed for committed illustrators who wish to hone their craft through hands-on activities and discussion. Participants must register/pay for the Saturday Mid-Year Workshops as well as the separate fee (see Registration Page) in order to attend. Updates/homework at: www.floridaillustrators.netPicture Book Intensive – Friday, June 15th • 9am - 5pm
Join Sylvie Frank, associate editor at Holiday House, and Andrea Davis Pinkney, a New York Times best-selling and award-winning author, for a one-day picture book writing extravaganza. Participants must register/pay for the Saturday Mid-Year Workshops as well as the separate fee (see Registration Page) in order to attend.Novel Intensive – Friday, June 15th • 9am - 5pm
Join agent Josh Adams of Adams Literary, Gaby Triana, YA author, IRA Teen Choice Award winner and former SCBWI Florida Co-Regional Advisor as well as, Nancy Werlin, author of 8 young adult novels that range from contemporary realism to mystery to fantasy.
This is bound to be a stellar novel-writing workshop. Participants must register/pay for the Saturday Mid-Year Workshops as well as the separate fee (see Registration Form) in order to attend.
This year's Orlando workshop features five tracks: Picture Book, Middle Grade, Young Adult, Historical, and Nonfiction. Participants stay in their chosen track for the entire day for writing exercises, first page critiques, and market information regarding their genre. The tracks ensure small group interactions and a more focused learning environment.
• Picture Book with Holiday House associate editor Sylvie Frank, award-winning author Tammi Sauer, Simon & Schuster Art Director, Laurent Linn, and author/illustrator Linda Shute.
• Middle Grade with: Tracey Adams, agent and co-founder of Adams Literary, and award-winning author Donna Gephart.
• Young Adult with: Nancy Werlin, a New York Times best-selling author, National Book Award Finalist, and Edgar Award Winner, and Noa Wheeler, editor at Henry Holt Books for Young Readers, an imprint of Macmillan.
• Historical Fiction with: Andrea Davis Pinkney, New York Times best-selling and award-winning author, and Tracy Barrett, author of numerous books and magazine articles for young readers and SCBWI's Regional Advisor Coordinator.
• Nonfiction with: author Nancy Rosenthal Stewart and Deb Noyes Wayshak, an author and editor-at-large at Candlewick Press.
First Page Critiques
Track leaders will select a few submissions to read aloud and critique. Bring the first page of your novel or picture book (double spaced, 12-pt. type, 250 words or less, 1 page only) to your workshop track. Include the title and genre, but not your name or other personal information.
Mail fees/registration form to SCBWI FLORIDA (see Registration Form) or register online here.
Available to registered participants for an additional fee and limited to 4 critiques per person. Sorry, but we CANNOT honor requests for specific critiquers.
SUBMISSIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY MAY 15, 2012.
Bring artwork, portfolios, and/or dummies to your workshop. Mail Critique Submissions Form to Kerry O'Malley Cerra (see form for details) and fees/registration form to SCBWI FLORIDA (see Registration Form) or register online at this link.
Include two copies of your manuscript (up to 10 pages* in standard format**) with your Critique Submission Form and mail to Kerry O'Malley Cerra (see Critique Submission Form for details). Mail fees/registration form to SCBWI FLORIDA (see Registration Page).
* Although a picture book may have fewer than ten pages, each separate piece counts as a separate submission.
** Submission format is explained at www.scbwi.org "From Keyboard to Printed Page: Facts You Need to Know."
Disney's Yacht Club - Rooms are $179/night plus tax.
Reservations: www.disneyconventionears.com or call 407-939-4686.
Event Group Code G0588981 until May 15, 2012.
Disney theme park tickets are available for advance purchase at the reservations site above.
Workshop leaders, critiquers, and SCBWI (PAL) members registered for the conference may sell their books. Contact FL-SCBWI Assistant Regional Advisor Marcea Ustler at: email@example.com by May 15, 2012 with book titles/ISBN numbers. Sorry, self-published books & ebooks cannot be sold.
Contact SCBWI Florida Regional Advisor and conference Chairperson Linda R. Bernfeld at 321-338-7208 or LindaBernfeld@gmail.com
May 15, 2012 DEADLINES TO REMEMBER!
• Last day for Early Registration! After May 15, see Registration Form for additional fees.
• Last day for Critique Submission.
• Last day to contact Marcea Ustler for book sales.
• Critique Submission Forms and two copies of manuscripts received by May 15th. Mail to Kerry O'Malley Cerra.
• If paying by check and NOT registering online, send payment with the Registration Form to:
125 E. Merritt Island Cswy. Suite 209, Box#266
Merritt Island, FL 32952
This address also goes on the registration form to mail the checks to if not registering online.
Reminder: Since we cannot control the temperature in the rooms, bring a sweater, jacket, or parka.